Mon - Thurs: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fridays: 8:00am - 2:00pm
Mon & Thurs: 5:00pm-6.30pm
848 Hiram Acworth Hwy., Building 200, Ste A
Hiram, GA 30141
- About Us
- Our Practice
- Dr. Fiakpornoo
- Our services
- For Patients
- In the News
- Contact Us
CobbWest Internal Medicine Associates’ goals as a primary care practice are to:
- Provide you with the ultimate, personalized experience for all your primary care needs.
- Serve patients in need of a primary care or family doctor in Cobb, Paulding and Douglas Counties and beyond which encompass Dallas, Powder Springs, Austell and Acworth, amongst others.
- Utilize state-of-the-art equipment for the diagnoses and management of all types of health challenges, and electronic medical records to provide quick access to your complete medical history.
- Offer comprehensive work, school and annual physical exams.
- Care for all of our patients as a privilege that we hold dear to our hearts.
Below is a list* of a myriad of common services the CobbWest Internal Medicine Associates provides in the convenience of our primary care office:
- Physical Exams –Includes your health history, vital signs, general appearance, and examinations of your heart, lung, head, neck, abdomen, neurology, skin and extremities. For females, this can include a breast and pelvic exams; for males, the physical exam can include a testicular and prostate exam.
- 6-Minute Walk Tests / Simple Pulmonary Stress Tests – This is used to access lung function and body oxygenation under exertion. We may run this test in patients who have shortness of breath.
- Chronic Lung Diseases and Asthma – COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) is a general term describing lung disease that refers to both chronic bronchitis and emphysema with symptoms such as a cough that won’t go away, coughing up mucous, or often being short of breath both at rest and when you exert yourself. As an Internal Medicine physician, Dr. Kwame can diagnosis and treat COPD to help you manage your illness, help you breathe easier, and enjoy life more.
- Congestive Heart Failure – About 600,000 Americans die of heart disease each year –that’s 1 in every 4 deaths. In Heart Failure, your heart’s pump action is dysfunctional and may be associated with multiple conditions that place extra strain on the heart. For example, heart conditions include high blood pressure and heart valve disease, thyroid disease, kidney disease, diabetes and coronary heart disease (heart artery blockages). Prevention is key and early recognition and management is essential.
- Diabetes –This is a very common disease that affects millions of Americans especially in our neck of the woods – and has affected Dr. Kwame’s own family. High blood sugar produces classic symptoms such as frequent urination, increased thirst, and increased hunger. Its complications tend to affect every single body system that we have and can be absolutely debilitating. The good news, however, is we can effectively manage it. We accurately assess your risk and provide you with the tools that enable you to control your diabetes.
- EKG Tests –An electrocardiogram (EKG) is a quick, safe, painless and inexpensive test to record the electrical activity of your heart through small electrode patches attached to the skin of your chest, arms, and legs. An EKG may be part of a routine physical exam or may be used to test for undiagnosed heart disease.
- Electronic Medical Records – Dr. Kwame’s office relies on EMRs, which are a digital, portable version of the traditional paper file system accessible to all doctors. With EMRs, CobbWest Internal Medicine gives you access to your complete medical history and records so you’re able to seamlessly share them with other consulting physicians involved in your care. >
- Erectile Dysfunction – ED, which affects approximately 18 million American men, is the inability to achieve or sustain an erection suitable for sexual intercourse. This is a traditionally difficult topic for a lot of patients to discuss, however, Dr. Kwame’s excellent relationship with his patients has made it very easy for them to open up and share the problem. Multiple causative factors exist and our work-up will determine the appropriate treatment for you.
- Health Maintenance –As part of our services as a Primary Care practice, Dr. Kwame can recommend and develop a personalized, customized health plan that fits your particular lifestyle, age and body type.
- High Cholesterol –Affecting 42 million Americans, cholesterol is a silent health risk that can be deadly. It’s a waxy, fat-like substance made in the liver and other cellsand found in certain animal foods, like dairy products, eggs, and meat. Dr. Kwame can do a simple blood test to determine whether you have high or borderline cholesterol –and what the next steps may be to improve your health.
- Holter Monitor / Event Monitoring –These are cardiac tests used to diagnose disorders related to the electrical activity of your heart. This may be necessary if you have palpitations or have passed out. A Cardiac Holter Monitor is a portable, wireless device used for this purpose. The exact type of study recommended will be dependent upon you specific condition.
- Hypertension –High blood pressure, also known as arterial hypertension, is a chronic medical condition characterized by elevated blood pressure in your arteries, which makes your heart work harder to circular blood. It is dangerous because most people will have no symptoms for a long time unless they are regularly checked. Depending on your health profile, there are different blood pressure recommendations and a pressure of 140/90 and above would be considered abnormal.
- Obesity/Weight Control –Many of our medical problems have a direct relation to weight, especially Diabetes, making this an issue of personal concern to Dr. Fiakpornoo. He helps his patients by discussing their diets and offers nutritional counseling / weight loss programs to help you live a balanced, fulfilling life. You can join our practice’s weight loss challenge!
- Office Spirometry – This is good test to measure a patient’s lung’s function and helps complete an evaluation of respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing, or risk factors of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (smoking, occupational exposures, and family history).
- Seasonal Illnesses – Every year, many of Dr. Kwame’s patients are afflicted with flu, colds and allergies. In fact, during flu season starting each September, at least one in every 5 to 20 people in the U.S. will get the flu, so make an appointment now for your flu shot and physical exam. Seasonal allergies can also result from grass, weed, tree pollen, or molds.
- Vaccinations – There are a variety of vaccinations available at CobbWest Internal Medicine, including each year’s flu vaccine and pneumonia vaccine for all at-risk groups, amongst others.
- Allergies & Allergy Testing (coming soon)–With allergies affecting about 20% of the U.S. population, there’s a growing need for allergy testing. Dr. Kwame will soon offer the latest allergy tests for symptoms such as itchy eyes and skin, sneezing, nasal congestion, wheezing, rashes, cat and dog dander allergies, as well as food allergies like peanuts, milk or seafood and their newest treatments.
- Onsite Lab –Our services include a lab where we perform basic CLIA-waived tests in house like urine and glucose testing. We can also draw all your blood samples in house for collection by the reference laboratories. You will not need to go to an external Lab to have this done!
*This list is not yet complete.